Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Celebrating Winners and Plugging Away

This morning the winners of the SmartWriters children's writing and illustrating contest were announced. Congratulations to each winner! I especially enjoy looking at the illustrations. Each one is distinct in style, and wonderful in it's own way. Check it out!
Now I've got to get plugging away at my own work again.
Here's another cachibachi for you. It's a fun website called The Book Hive which lists book choices for kids. Parents, kids and teachers can find out about books for children.
This morning I went to the library again, dumped off a huge load of books and picked up more to take their place. Two of my favorites are September Roses by Jeanette Winter, and Grape Thief by Kristine L. Franklin.
September Roses is a small picture book tenderly rendered, telling the factual tale of two African sisters who arrived with their roses on Sept. 11th. It's a wonderful book.
The other book, Grape Thief is fantastic so far. It's set in the 1920's in Roslyn, Washington, a mining town. The characters, action and humor in the 7th grade boys lives is realistic and captivating. I'm hooked.

No comments: