Saturday, December 03, 2005

Northern Virginia Writing Project

Today I had the pleasure of attending a workshop with the Northern Virginia Writing Project. They have workshops for children who are interested in writing, or who excell at it.
Today's workshop offered another workshop for parents, which I attended while my child attended one.
All I can say is I wish I had had teachers like these when I was younger.
Their program is fascinating in that all of the teachers are also writers , practicing their craft while they teach teachers and kids.
We did several writing excersizes and learned a few techniques to beat writing blocks and bring inspiration.
The two teachers who taught the parent's workshop were Kathy Hailey and Cathy Turner ( I hope I spelled their names correctly). The title of the workshop was "The Gift of Words"
The Northern Virginia Writing Project is a part of The National Writing Project.
It was wonderfully run, and my child came out of it begging to go to the next workshop.

No comments: