Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snowdays, Gifts and Cachibachis

Today was a snowday here in Virginia. I love snowdays...snowcovered trees, permission to sleep later than 6:00 am, and just fun having the kids home, playing in the snow and drinking cocoa. It was perfect. Here in Virginia if there's more than 1/2 inch of snow on the ground schools are generally closed.
When we first moved here I found that astonishing. I grew up in the North, where people put chains on their tires, and brave feet of snow as though it's the most normal thing, gearing up for snow each year, ready to drive on snow covered roads, not just hide indoors when the snow hits. In driver's ed in NY state, we learned how to skid on snow and how to get out of a skid. Here in VA many folks panic when snow hits. Other more foolhardy drivers continue driving at 60mph trying to prove how cool they are.
The kids built funny snowmen, had snowball fights and used their sleds. When you live down here, you never know if you'll have a chance to use your sleds and snow equipment, so it makes it extra special.
Well..I've adapted to the Virginia style by looking forward to 1/2 inch of snow, knowing that most likely school will be closed and we'll all get to hang out at home for a day. It was a gift.

As for gifts, I was very touched yesterday to recieve an unexpected package on our front porch. A generous person I'd finished illustrations for, sent me an amazing gift box full of an assortment of delicious goodies! What a special surprise!
Gifts sometimes come when you least expect them, and this client/friend is a one in a million gift.

Here are some cachibachis for you. .....
Two of my all time favorite Christmas picture books are:
One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham Illustrated by Richard Jesse Watson (one of my all time favorite illustrators)
Both the story and the illustrations are rich and moving.
Another book that I loved so much I borrowed it from the library at least 15 times before I bought it. It's The Animals' Christmas Carol by Helen Ward. Her work is incredible. How I wish I could illustrate like she does.
My librarian friend recommends a book called Silver Packages. It wasn't there yesterday, and I'm not sure who wrote it, but she says that the message is timeless.

No comments: