Monday, August 15, 2005

Some More Kid's Books, illustrators, Online newsletters, etc.

Here are a few more books I found at the library today. Adam Rex has illustrated another one called Ste-e-e-e-emboat A-Comin' written by Jill Esbaum. Check out Rex's website. It's very funny. The illustrations in this steamboat are fantastic, reminiscent of Norman Rockwell. He illustrated The Dirty Cowboy too, which may have been his first children's book. It was written by Amy Timberlake, and was also her first book. It's a funny one.
I also found a book called Someone Bigger by Jonathan Emmett illustrated by Adrian Reynolds. This was the best website I could find to show his work. He also illustrated the series Harry and the Dinosaurs.
This is not necessarily related to kid's books, but I'm sticking it in here anyway. It came up on a children's writing list and I decided to post it here as well, for anyone who may be interested. It's an online newsletter for kid's toy trends. There are fascinating items here from time to time. It's called The Big Blue Dot. You can sign up for a free bi-weekly newsletter that tracks kid's toy trends.
On another tangent, I've been listening to Salvadore's CD So Natural. I love it. Some compare the sound to a cross between The Gypsy Kings (one of my favorite groups) and Chicago. I think there's also a tinge of The Dooby Brother sound to it, or The Miami Sound Machine. I don't know what exactly, but it's a Christian group with immense talent, amazing energy, joy and power.
I received my Scratchboard book (Scratchboard for Illustration by Ruth Lozner) in the mail today (along with a pile of magazines, bills and letters after a week away. The book is just what I wanted, even with it's few cover tears and worn marks. Now I need to get some good board to do the scratchboarding on. I've had a sheet of it for years, but it's not the same as the thicker scratchboard surface is.

No comments: