Thursday, August 25, 2005

Dear Friends and Kindred Spirits

Yesterday my best friend came to visit with her three children. What a joy it is to have a friend who knows and loves me just as I am. (and vice versa) They drove north 2 hours to spend the day with us. We took full advantage of our time to......yes.....you guessed it......TALK....and listen.
We moved our chairs around the yard from place to place to watch the kids climb trees, play in the treehouse, splash in the pool, run with large sticks, (until we advised them against the stick game....4 boys with humongous sticks running fast is not a wise idea.
What is it with boys and sticks anyway? They always find sticks. I could place my sons in an empty room and they'd find something to make into a stick to poke and hit things with)
Anyway, it was heavenly sharing a day with my friend. We met years back when we both had only two children, and were in that difficult and lonely stay-at-home-mom-world with babies and 'strong willed first born sons'...both sons had a colicky past, and both were wearing us out...much as we loved them.
We were both an honest answer to prayer for each other. Our kids match nearly exactly in age, and temperment for each other....both families are boy, girl, boy. It's incredible.
One thing I also love about true-forever friendships like ours is that we can be as different as night and day in some ways and mesh exactly in other ways. I'm an artist-writer, excelling in the literature and artistic fields, while she is a pharmacist, having loved and excelled at math and science....We both stand amazed at each other's abilities, unable to conceive of having the skills.
As they drove off, all of us waving and shouting good-byes and thank you's.....I was filled once more with gratitude for the awesome priviledge of having friends like Diana, and the gift of time spent together, whether it's daily, or by email or phone.

Here's a link to the SCBWI LA conference notes. If you're a member you can view all of the conference notes, if not, there's still things to see.
I think I've mentioned Anastasia Suen's Create-Relate blog here before, but if not, check it out. She always has great links about new children's books, publishing news for kid's lit, her online classes for children's writers, which I highly recommend (packed full of info, and professionally done, also scheduled in a way that make them do-able)
Here's a link to Fiona Bayrock's website about writing non-fiction articles for kids. There's also some great art there by my online friend....artist/illustrator Ruth McNally Barshaw. Check out Ruth's home page if you want to grin..she's got an incredible sense of humor, mixed with immense talent, loads of wisdom, and the perseverance needed to make it big in writing and illustrating...golden.
It's gorgeous here..I've got to get outdoors and enjoy the day with my kids while I can.
It's Snowing.....well...it's snowing here at Robert's Snow. Stop by the website and view the amazing assortment of wooden snowflakes to bid on. Each snowflake is painted on wood, double-sided. Many well known children's illustrators have snowflakes there. The proceeds from the auction of snowflakes support cancer research.
Here's a vital website for writers and to visit when checking out potential publishers, agents, and editors. Preditors and Editors lists writing/publishing related companies, organizations and individuals to stay away from. I believe they may also highlight trustworthy companies and individuals..not sure about that. Many children's writers and online writing groups recommend this site. I imagine it may also be a place for children's illustrators to check from time to time as well.
This quote from my daily Insight of the Day is fitting for children's writers and illustrators. Maybe it will inspire you all as much as it does me:
"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory."
Betty Smith1896-1972, Novelist

I think her advice is what makes the heart of a great children's writer or illustrator..looking at everything with that fresh appreciation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen on the boys and sticks observation!
My son would also be one of those guys who could pull one out of a hat.

Amy C. Moreno said...

Susan,
Aren't they funny? It starts when they are so young. Another interesting aspect of it is that I've never seen my daughter look for sticks like they do...(even though she loves to climb trees and is very athletic).