Monday, February 06, 2006

Back from NYC SCBWI Conference

Wow. What a conference....Nikki Giovanni, David Almond, Marc Brown, David Diaz, Pat Cummings, Robert Sabuda, delicious dinners with illustrator and writer friends, old and new, Illustrator's Day sessions with Cecilia Yung, where we critiqued fellow illustrator's portfolios and had our's critiqued. The whole conference was fantastic.
I had time to hang out with
Courtney (always an energetic and fun time) and Dee. I hope she got her necklace untangled...did you Courtney? We also had dinner with many amazing illustrators....gotta put their links up later on...I'm still tired, need a nap... The Illustrator's Day alone was worth the trip to NYC. We heard from Tomie DePaola, Robert Sabuda, Cecilia Yung, and several newer children's illustrators.
There wasn't much time to sleep...to much to discuss and laugh over. I'll post the links later on, and add some comments on the workshops and highlights...one important one...if you haven't ever read David Almond's work....go out and get his books...I've never read any of his work, but after hearing him speak, I'm hooked. His message was inspiring, magical and absolutely heartwarming to the heart of a writer and artist.

Huge COngratulations to Heidi Sheffield, one of my roommates there, who placed in the top place winners of the art showcase, with a lovely piece. Her work is top-notch, and she's also a wonderful person. I'm sure she'll have a website up soon.

No comments: