Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Some Good Literacy Organizations

Here's an organization that helps kids with their reading comprehension and deals with language arts. It's called Reading Rockets.
Another one I found was called Enlighten Me, where literacy stars (writers and people interested in promoting literacy) are interviewed. This literacy program is sponsored and produced by Verizon.
And here's one I've known of for years...RIF.
I've got the topic of literacy on my mind for several reasons. Today at the supermarket I saw three teenage boys out selling Christmas decorations to raise money for our local Literacy organization. It warmed my heart to see them there. No adults were with them at the time, and it was cold outdoors. They could have been doing a million other things on their first day of Thanksgiving break, but they were there. It's a small thing, but it means a lot.
For quite awhile I've wanted to encourage kids to read. Books, reading, and libraries have always been such important aspects of my life that I want to share them with others. I can't imagine how some people go through life without visiting the library at least once a week. In many places in the world libraries aren't even available.
When I lived abroad, one of the main things I missed was the public library.
I recently started taking part in our local school's "Book Buddies" program. It's a blast. It's a small thing to do, and yet it's a joy. It only takes one hour a week, and who knows what a difference it may make in one child's life.
Hopefully I'll be able to do more to encourage others in their reading..get them hooked on books like I am, or just be an encouragement somehow. Books are a terrific bridge between cultures, races and ages. They transport us to places, times and situations we would never be able to reach otherwise.
I know there are many other literacy organizations out there, but these were some that I enjoyed today.

No comments: