Friday, January 05, 2007

The Book Thief and tiny friends

I'm reading The Book Thief and am absolutely hooked. It's an incredible book. It's a story about WWII written in a fresh way, with wonderful insights, characters, and original POV and manner. It's one of the best books I've read in a long time, and I think will remain a favorite.
...on a sadder note, (and one that ties in somehow with one of The Book Thief's characters) our tiny hamster Fuzzy went the way of all good hamsters today. (I am one of those who believes firmly that animals go to heaven)
Some may think the loss of a hamster is not of much note, but it touched me.
I had ended up taking full care of Fuzzy, (my kids seem to be prophetic in the naming of their animals, with no clue as to how perfect the names are for their character...she was not fuzzy when named, but quickly had a sort of queenly dress of fuzzy fur) Her cage was near my computer due to allergy issues with one of the kids, so she became "mine" as it seems all of our pets do, and I became more attatched than I probably would have otherwise. Amazing how even tiny quiet animals can be a presence in our lives and bring joy.

No comments: