Saturday, March 04, 2006

Noteworthy Children's Books

Here are three children's books I borrowed from the library the other day that I wanted to mention. One is Feathers and Fools byMem Fox, illustrated byNicholas Wilton. (The link I connected it to is a double cachibachi..because it has other wonderful Australian books dealing with diversity...look at the art in the books there..I'll head back over later after I post this) The illustrations by Nicholas Wilton (he doesn't have a web site, but you can see one image on this gorgeous poster) Are rich, gorgeous, glowing images. I am hooked on his art now.
This is his first picture book. I'm sure he'll be doing more after this book. It's fantastic art...yummy. I may buy the book.
Another book that was stunning in it's message, as well as the unusual art is America's White Table by Margot Theis Raven, illustrated by Mike Benny. It deals with the heavy topic of the Vietnam POWs and the wonderful custom of placing a white tablecloth on dinner tables to remember them. It is an extremely moving book, and timely as well as bringing honor and appreciation to the men and women who have served our country and continue to serve now. Benny is a noteworthy illustrator. Check out his portfolio on the link.
Another book I have only begun to read (not a children's book ) is called: Reading, Writing and Leaving Home - Life On The Page by Lynn Freed. It is a memoir, consisting of eleven essays on Freed's life and writing process.
The last book I'll mention now..due to the time it takes to find the links to plug in for these...whew..) is I Can Make A Difference - A Treasury to Inspire Our Children by Marian Wright Edelman illustrated by Barry Moser .
The title grabbed my attention, and when I saw Moser's beautiful watercolor illustrations, I had to borrow it. A truly inspiring and touching book. It is a compilation of stories, poems, and tales from around the world to challenge children (and adults) to live with dignity and honor towards others.

No comments: