Thursday, June 30, 2005

Some Noteworthy Books

I found out about an excellent book called Illustrating Children's Books: Creating Pictures for Publication by Martin Salisbury' It's full of different styles, techniques and explanations about what goes into illustrating Picture Books for children. I just ordered it. (I'm a bookaholic....especially when it comes to art books, and picture books.) Salisbury is an Australian illustrator. Here's a review of the book.
Another of the books I found in the library was The Watertower by Gary Crew. Interestingly enough, he's also from Australia. The book won the Picture Book of the Year from the Children's Book Council of Australia. It captured my attention because of it's unusual format. (I'd actually thought of using the format myself in one of my PB ideas, but wasn't sure it would be accepted. Now I plan to use it). Check the book out to see it's format and wonderful illustrations by Steven Woolman.
The third book is King Matt The First, and was actually originally published in Polish in 1923, and is written by Janusz Korczak. He was an amazing man. This version has an intro by Esme Raji Codell. In it, a child king introduces reforms to give the same rights as adults.
Here's another cachibachi for you...
This is one of my all time favorite resources. It's at About.com and comes to your email inbox regularly if you sign up for it. It's a regular update about what's new with children's books. Elizabeth Kennedy writes it.

1 comment:

کیارخ said...

Hi miss Amy !
I agree with U.I saw the first book and it was fantastic. but do you know how can I find a Digital version of this book? because in our country, this is so expensive and actually impossible to find a book of another country, specially from the U.S.
and if you don't think that I'm a terrorist :) I will say that i'm living in Iran. that's why I can't find this book! anyway if you could find a way for me to get this book, i would appreciate you. please inform me by my E-mail (kiarokh_m@yahoo.com).

by the way, I'm an illustrator too but still a student! my course is going to be finished this year. have you ever seen iranian's illustrations? i think they are good in this field. you can check out www.kargah.com and find some stuff. and if you need anything about iranian art, i can help you.

thanx again
bye